Nuno Limão's research focuses on international trade, trade policy, and political economy. His research integrates theoretical and empirical work to examine a variety of issues, such as how governments choose among redistribution policies, the determinants of trade policy and trade agreements, and the effects of trade costs and geographic location.
Professor Limão's current research examines how firms and consumers are affected by policy uncertainty and the role for international institutions in managing such uncertainty. Professor Limão is a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and an Associate Editor of the Journal of International Economics. He received his BSc in economics from the London School of Economics in 1996 and his PhD from Columbia University in 2001.
Areas of Interest
- International Trade
- Trade Policy
- Political Economy
Degree TypePhDDegree DetailsColumbia University, 2001
Degree TypeBScDegree DetailsLondon School of Economics, 1996
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON442||Globalization and Capital Markets||Fall 2022|
|ECON397||Honors Thesis||Spring 2022|
|ECON396||Independent Honors Study||Fall 2021|
|ECON742||Advanced International Economics II||Fall 2021|
|ECON397||Honors Thesis||Spring 2021|
- Economic and policy uncertainty: Aggregate export dynamics and the value of agreements, , Journal of International Economics 139, November .
- Trade Policy Uncertainty, , Annual Review of Economics 14, 363-395, August .
- Brexit Uncertainty and Trade Disintegration, , The Economic Journal 131(635 ), 1150-1185, April .
- Policy Externalities and International Trade Agreements, , World Scientific Studies in International Economics series, 1-404, November .
- Policy Uncertainty, Trade and Welfare: Theory and Evidence for China and the U.S., , American Economic Review 107(9 ), 2731-2783, September .
- Preferential Trade Agreements, , Handbook of Commercial Policy 1, 279-367
- Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence, , American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 7(4 ), 189-222, November .
- Uncertainty and Trade Agreements, , American Economic Journal Micro 7(4 ), 1-42, November .
- Size Inequality, Coordination Externalities and International Trade Agreements, , European Economic Review 63, 10-27, October .
- Review of The Great Recession and Import Protection, , Journal of International Economics 88(1 ), 209-210, September .
- Policy Choice: Theory and Evidence from Commitment via International Trade Agreements, , Journal of International Economics 85(2 ), 186-205, November .
- Optimal Tariffs, , New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, ed. by Steven N. Durlauf and Lawrence E. Blume, Palgrave Macmillan 2, January .
- Optimal Tariffs and Market Power: The Evidence, , American Economic Review 98(5 ), 2032-2065, December .
- Tariff Retaliation versus Financial Compensation in the Enforcement of International Trade Agreements, , Journal of International Economics 76(1 ), 48-60, September .
- The Clash of Liberalizations: Preferential vs. Multilateral Trade Liberalization in the European Union, , Journal of International Economics 74(2 ), 299-327, March .
- Are Preferential Trade Agreements with Non-trade Objectives a Stumbling Block for Multilateral Liberalization?, , Review of Economic Studies 74(3 ), 821-855, July .
- Inequality and Endogenous Trade Policy Outcomes, , Journal of International Economics 72(2 ), 292-309, July .
- Preferential Trade Agreements as Stumbling Blocks for Multilateral Trade Liberalization: Evidence for the U.S., , American Economic Review 96(3 ), 896-914, June .
- Preferential vs. Multilateral Trade Liberalization: Evidence and Open Questions, , World Trade Review 5(2 ), 155-176, July .
- Trade Preferences to Small Developing Countries and the Welfare Costs of Lost Multilateral Liberalization, , World Bank Economic Review 20(2 ), 217-240, June .
- Trade Policy, Cross-Border Externalities and Lobbies: Do Linked Agreements Enforce More Cooperative Outcomes?, , Journal of International Economics 67(1 ), 175-199, September .
- Anti-trade Bias in Trade Policy and General Equilibrium, , The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 3(1 ), 1538-1645, September .
- Government Gains from Self-Restraint: A Bargaining Theory of Inefficient Redistribution Policies, , CEPR Discussion Paper No. 4007, September .
- Geographical Disadvantage: a Hecksher-Ohlin-Von-Thunen Model of International Specialisation, , Journal of International Economics 58(2 ), 239-263, December .
- Infrastructure, Geographical Disadvantage, Transport Costs and Trade, , World Bank Economic Review 15(3 ), 451-479, January .