Dear UMD Economics Community,
George Floyd’s death in police custody is a devastating addition to a long history of racism, bigotry, and police killings in our country. It comes at a particularly difficult time, on the heels of the murders of Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor, and when Black and Brown communities are being disproportionately affected by the economic and health consequences of COVID-19. I join Dean Ball, President Loh, and Chancellor Perman in condemning police brutality, structural racism, and bigotry of all kinds, and in standing in solidarity with those who speak out against injustice.
The University is providing a number of resources to students, staff, and faculty, many of which can be accessed through the University’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion. I ask that you join me this week in participating in the Office of Diversity and Inclusion’s Week of Solidarity .
Below are specific campus resources for ongoing support and engagement as listed in President Loh’s statement (linked above).
Judith K. Hellerstein
Professor and Chair, Department of Economics
Resources for the UMD Community:
- If you are interested in being in community with others, to process the pain, exhaustion, and fear, email the Office of Diversity and Inclusion at DiverseTerps [at] umd [dot] edu.
- If you seek individual support, email Dr. Chetan Joshi, director of the Counseling Center, at cajoshi [at] umd [dot] edu.
- If you seek spiritual support, email Campus Chaplain Holly Ulmer at ulmer [at] umd [dot] edu and she will connect you to other campus chaplains as needed.
- If you are interested in reading White Fragility or Me & White Supremacy, and discussing it with members of the community and leaders from embraceRace@umd, email Student Affairs at vpsa [at] umd [dot] edu.
- If you are interested in working with your leadership team, unit, department or division to strengthen cultural competency, and engage in doing the work, email Dr. Carlton Green, director of Diversity Training and Education, at cegreen [at] umd [dot] edu.
- If you want to connect with and/or receive support from leaders within our Nyumburu Center, email director Dr. Ron Ziegler at nyumbz [at] umd [dot] edu.
- If you are a member of a cultural student organization, and want to be in community with others, email Brandon Dula, assistant director of Multicultural Involvement and Community Advocacy (MICA) at bdula [at] umd [dot] edu.
- If you have concerns or questions about current policies that could negatively impact you and members of your community, email Dr. Andrea Goodwin, director of Student Conduct, at agoodwin [at] umd [dot] edu.
- If you would like to know more about our University of Maryland Police Department and its policies and protocols, email Chief David Mitchell at UMPDchief [at] umpd [dot] umd [dot] edu.