Sergio Urzua is an Associate Professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Maryland. He is a Research Associate at the NBER, Research Fellow at IZA, and International Research Fellow at Clapes-UC. His research focuses on labor, development and applied econometrics. His research agenda includes the evaluation of social/policy interventions in developing economies. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 2007. He teaches in the areas of Labor Economics and Econometrics
Areas of Interest
- Applied Econometrics
Degree TypePhDDegree DetailsUniversity of Chicago, 2007
Degree TypeBADegree DetailsUniversity of Chile, 2000.
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Spring 2017|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2017|
|ECON772||Population Economics||Spring 2017|
|ECON472||Economics of Social Safety Nets||Spring 2017|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Fall 2016|
|ECON878||Workshop in Labor Economics||Fall 2016|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Spring 2016|
|ECON708||Advanced Topics in Applied and Theoretical Microeconomics||Spring 2016|
|ECON422||Econometrics I||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
|ECON771||Advanced Labor Economics: Theory and Evidence||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
- Birth Order, Education, and Family Size, , The Economic Journal, June .
- The (Un)expected Economic Consequences of the Recent Expansion of Higher Education in Latin America , , Latin American Policy Journal, June .
- One Size Does Not Fit All: Multiple Dimensions of Ability, College Attendance and Earnings, , Journal of Labor Economics
- Heterogeneous Economic Returns to Postsecondary Degrees: Evidence from Chile, , Journal of Human Resources 51(2 ), April .
- Implementing Factor Models with Unobserved Heterogeneity in Stata: The heterofactor command , , Stata Journal 156(1 ), January .
- Early Exposure to Hazardous Waste and Academic Achievement: Evidence from a Case of Environmental Negligence, , Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists 2, 527-563, December .
- Cost benefit analysis of an integrated ECD program in a low-income country, , Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1308, 129-138, June .
- Economic Perspectives on Integrating Early Child Stimulation with Nutritional Interventions , , Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1308, 139-148
- Economic Perspectives on Some Important Dimensions of Early Childhood Development in Developing Countries , , Handbook of Early Childhood Development Research and Its Impact on Global Policy, Rebello, P., Engle, P., and Super, C. (Eds). Oxford University Press, 2013
- The Labor Market Return to an Attractive Face: Evidence from a Field Experiment, , Economics Letters 118(1 ), 170-172, January .
- The Demand and Supply of Early Education in Chile, , Estudios Públicos 126, 46-86, September .
- The Economic Returns to Higher Education in Chile: Revising the Foundations of 30 Years of Public Policies, , Estudios Públicos 125, 2-52, November .
- The Effects of Participation in Public Child Care Centers: Evidence from Chile, , Journal of Human Capital 6(1 ), 1-34
- Comparing IV With Structural Models: What Simple IV Can and Cannot Identify, , Journal of Econometrics 156(1 ), 27-37, May .
- Testing the Correlated Random Coefficient Model, , Journal of Econometrics 158(2 ), 177-203, October .
- The Education-Health Gradient, , American Economic Review (P&P) 100(2 ), 234-238, May .
- Measuring the Impact of Financial Intermediation: Linking Contract Theory to Econometric Policy Evaluation, , Macroeconomic Dynamics 13(S2 ), 268-316, September .
- Instrumental Variables in Models with Multiple Outcomes: The General Unordered Case, , Les Annales d’Economie et de Statistique 92, 151-174, December .
- Racial Labor Market Gaps: The Role of Abilities and Schooling Choices., , Journal of Human Resources 43(4 ), 919-971, October .
- Use of Instrumental Variables in the Presence of Heterogeneity and Self-Selection: An Application in Breast Cancer Patients, , Health Economics 16(11 ), 1133-1157, November .
- The Effects of Cognitive and Noncognitive Abilities on Labor Market Outcomes and Social Behavior, , Journal of Labor Economics 24(3 ), 411-482, July .
- Understanding Instrumental Variables in Models with Essential Heterogeneity, , Review of Economics and Statistics 88(3 ), 389-432, August .
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Career Choices for Young Workers in Latin America, , Economic Inquiry, January .
Maria F. PradaInter-American Development Bank
Miguel SarzosaPurdue University
Giordano PalloniInternational Food Policy Research Institute
Cristian SanchezITAM, Mexico
Fernando SaltielMcGill University
Cynthia BoruchowiczInter-American Development Bank
Sai LuoShangai University of Finance and Economics