The Economics Undergraduate Advising Office provides a broad variety of services to assist undergraduate students in academic development. While our primary role is to advise Economics majors on strategies for degree completion, we also assist students on a number of related issues including: university policies, career choices, social and personal adjustment to university life, and opportunities such as study abroad and internships.
Advising for Economics majors is not mandatory. However, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor on a periodic basis to at least confirm progress in meeting degree requirements.
Advising Hours, Location, and Contact Information
The ECON Advising Office has shifted to remote advising due to UMD's response to COVID-19 and efforts to de-densify campus.
Advisors will be available Monday through Friday from 8am - 4:30pm by email, phone, scheduled video chats via Zoom, and Zoom Drop-in hours.
- EMAIL - The best way to reach ECON advising is through email at econadvising [at] umd [dot] edu. If you prefer to email a specific advisor directly, see below for direct contact information.
- PHONE - You can call an advisor directly at the phone numbers listed below. You do not need an appointment. If the advisor does not answer they may be working with another student or in a meeting so leave a voice message and they will return your call.
- ZOOM SCHEDULED APPOINTMENTS - 30 minute virtual advising appointments conducted via Zoom are available Monday through Friday from 9am - 10am & 1pm - 4pm. To schedule an appointment log into TerpEngage using your directory ID and password.
- ZOOM DROP-INS - If you have a question about your class schedule, course registration, course permissions, etc. you can sign in to the ECON Drop-In Zoom room to meet with an available advisor without an appointment during the specified days and times listed below. (Drop-ins are reserved for brief 10-15 minute meetings. For more extensive questions, schedule a 30 minute appointment above.)
***Drop-In Hours: Monday through Thursday 10am - 12pm***
**ONLY SIGN IN DURING THE DROP-IN HOURS LISTED ABOVE. Otherwise an advisor will not be there to assist you.**
After signing in for drop-in advising you will be provided a link to join the Zoom waiting room and an advisor will admit you into the meeting as soon as possible.
There may be students ahead of you so it may take a few minutes to meet with the advisor.
NOTE: All students who wish to declare ECON as their major must be complete a several step process which is outlined in detail here.
3108D Tydings Hall
pnance [at] umd [dot] edu
3108A Tydings Hall
amszczep [at] umd [dot] edu
Shanna Edinger May
Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
3108C Tydings Hall
sedinge1 [at] umd [dot] edu
Other Advising Resources on Campus
- Joel and Kim Feller Advising & Career Planning Center in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Education Abroad Appointments
- Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy (MICA) Personal Advising Services
- Undocumented Student Resources
- Career Center Appointments
- Accessibility & Disability Services Appointments