The Economics Undergraduate Advising Office provides a broad variety of services to assist undergraduate students in academic development. While our primary role is to advise Economics majors on strategies for degree completion, we also assist students on a number of related issues including: university policies, career choices, social and personal adjustment to university life, and opportunities such as study abroad and internships.
Advising for Economics majors is not mandatory. However, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor on a periodic basis to at least confirm progress in meeting degree requirements.
Advising Hours, Location, and Contact Information
The ECON Advising Office has shifted to remote advising until at least April 10th, 2020 due to UMD's response to COVID-19. Advisors will be available through email, phone, and scheduled video chats (via Zooom or Google Hangouts Meet).
NOTE: All students who wish to change their major to ECON or declare ECON as a double major, must email the advising office to sign up for an ECON Info Session. Detailed information about declaring the major can be found here.
* The best way to reach ECON advising is through email at econadvising [at] umd [dot] edu.
3108D Tydings Hall
nance [at] econ [dot] umd [dot] edu
3108A Tydings Hall
amszczep [at] econ [dot] umd [dot] edu
Shanna Edinger May
Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
3108C Tydings Hall
edinger [at] econ [dot] umd [dot] edu
Other Advising Resources on Campus
- College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Advising Office
- Education Abroad Appointments
- Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy (MICA) Personal Advising Services
- Undocumented Student Resources
- Career Center Appointments
- Accessibility & Disability Services Appointments