The Economics Undergraduate Advising Office provides a broad variety of services to assist undergraduate students in academic development. While our primary role is to advise Economics majors on strategies for degree completion, we also assist students on a number of related issues including: university policies, career choices, social and personal adjustment to university life, and opportunities such as study abroad and internships.
Advising for Economics majors is not mandatory. However, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor on a periodic basis to at least confirm progress in meeting degree requirements.
Advising Hours, Location, and Contact Information
The ECON Advising Office has shifted to remote advising due to UMD's response to COVID-19. Advisors will be available Monday through Friday from 8am - 4:30pm by email, phone, and scheduled video chats via Zooom.
- EMAIL - The best way to reach ECON advising is through email at econadvising [at] umd [dot] edu. If you prefer to email a specific advisor directly, see below for direct contact information.
- PHONE - You can call an advisor directly at the phone numbers listed below. You do not need an appointment. If the advisor does not answer they may be working with another student or in a meeting so leave a voice message and they will return your call.
- ZOOM - If you would like to schedule a video chat, send an email including your full name and UID along with a couple of days and times you are available to meet. An advisor will respond with a scheduled appointment time.
NOTE: All students who wish to change their major to ECON or declare ECON as a double major, must email the advising office to sign up for an ECON Info Session. Detailed information about declaring the major can be found here.
3108D Tydings Hall
pnance [at] umd [dot] edu
3108A Tydings Hall
amszczep [at] umd [dot] edu
Shanna Edinger May
Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
3108C Tydings Hall
sedinge1 [at] umd [dot] edu
Other Advising Resources on Campus
- College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Advising Office
- Education Abroad Appointments
- Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy (MICA) Personal Advising Services
- Undocumented Student Resources
- Career Center Appointments
- Accessibility & Disability Services Appointments