To declare Economics as your major you must:
- Review ECON major requirements: Visit the m to select which curriculum track (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science) you want to pursue. Make sure to pay special attention to the requirements for each track to determine which you are eligible for and which best fits your goals.
- Initiate a major change or addition of major request through TerpEngage.
- Once you initiate the request in TerpEngage you will receive an email from ECON Advising (econadvising [at] umd [dot] edu) within 2-3 business days inviting you to join the ECON Major Declaration ELMS page. Follow the steps in ELMS to complete all modules which includes the BSOS Graduation Planning Workshop, developing a graduation plan, and instructions on submitting the required major declaration documents to ECON Advising.
- After you complete all of the required tasks and have submitted the required documents to ECON Advising, we will review them and provide the necessary departmental signatures. ECON Advising will then submit your paperwork to the BSOS Feller Center for final processing and approval. Once you have received an email confirming that your paperwork has been submitted to the Feller Center, it may take up to 15 business days to process your major change/addition. You will receive an email directly from the Feller Center when your major has been updated in the student information system.
- Students on academic probation/dismissal, student athletes, and other designated student populations will be required to schedule an appointment with a BSOS college advisor to finalize their major change or addition. Instructions will be provided in the task list.
- Neither BSOS Advising nor ECON Advising can lift registration blocks imposed by a student's current major.
- Permission will not be granted for courses restricted to ECON majors prior to your major change/addition being finalized unless it is on or after the first day of the semester.
If you have any questions, please contact ECON Advising.