Economics majors who choose to study abroad for a year or a semester will often take a course focused on their host country's economy. Such a course can typically be used to meet a 300 level course of choice requirement for the BA. It is sometimes possible to meet other major requirements with courses completed abroad, but this happens less frequently. ECON-BS majors are not permitted to take ECON321, ECON325, and/or ECON326 out of residence. These three courses must be completed at the University of Maryland. It is also important to note that a maximum of two courses taken abroad may apply towards the ECON major requirements. 

Study Abroad Preparation and Process:

Students wanting to study abroad should begin preparing well in advance of their departure. Students will first have to do some research on their own and decide if they are interested in pursuing a Maryland Study Abroad Program (such as Maryland-in-Barcelona) or a non-Maryland program. Information regarding Maryland Programs and non-Maryland programs can be found here. Afterwards, students must meet with the Education Abroad Office to discuss the specifics of the program of your choice or to help decide between programs. As soon as a student has been admitted to a program they must meet with the Economics Department Advisors to get prior approval of course selection, sign the Study Abroad Course Approval form, and complete an Official Academic Audit. All these steps must be completed BEFORE you go abroad. If you don't get prior approval, the courses you take may not be accepted towards your degree requirements! 

As soon as you have completed your coursework please make sure to have an official transcript sent back to the University so that the credits may post on your UMD transcript. Once the credits have been posted on your transcript it may be necessary (especially for non-Maryland programs) to have an ECON advisor manually apply courses onto your Degree Audit. This request may be done in person or via email. If a course needs to be applied to your GenEd/CORE requirements then you must meet with a BSOS college advisor for assistance. 

Information regarding course evaluations:

* When asking an advisor for a course evaluation, you must present the advisor with a detailed course description as well as a syllabus. Both documents must be in English and students may not translate the information on their own. All information must be translated through official channels. Please work with the Education Abroad office if you are unable to obtain documents in English. The ECON department will use syllabi/course descriptions to determine how a course will apply to your degree and to determine whether the course is upper level, lower level, etc. Ideally the syllabus and course description will include the course prerequisites. 

* The ECON department can only evaluate ECON courses. Courses with subjects pertaining to other departments (such as Business, Art, History, or Government and Politics) must be evaluated by the corresponding department. If you are unsure which department you should seek an evaluation from you may ask your Education Abroad advisor or an ECON advisor. 

* All courses listed on your SACA must be evaluated before a BSOS advisor may sign your SACA form and complete your official audit. This is to ensure that you fully understand where your courses (assuming they are transferable) apply towards your degree.